Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Roller Coaster of Life



Suffering promotes learning.  Jenny immigrated to the US when she was eight years old from China. Now a senior in college, Jenny reflects on her senior year in high school after testing positive for the tuberculin skin test, also known as the Mantoux or PPD (Purified Protein Derivative) test. However, false positive tests are common if, for example, Jenny had BCG vaccine against tuberculosis, or was exposed to nontuberculour myobacteria or the TB bacteria in the environment. To be certain, she would need to undergo chest x-ray and blood tests. Sitting in her pajamas in her room, Jenny recalls the story that changed her perception on suffering:
“When my skin swelled to the size of a quarter, my doctor told me that I got tuberculosis (TB). I got freaked out! Even though later I had a negative chest x-ray, I still had to take medication every day for nine straight months!” Luckily for Jenny, most people with the latent TB infection never develop into active TB disease. Nonetheless, because TB can spread through air, it is the leading cause of death worldwide.[1] Under US law, any suspected TB patient is required to take free prescribed medication for nine months.  “Taking the medicine was very stressful because I had to take it to school with me and remember to take the pills secretly during lunch.  I often forgot because I didn’t show any symptoms.”
Suffering often takes a patient on an emotional roller coaster ride. Frustration is the first hill that Jenny climbs. “I felt slightly out of control and angry because being a high school senior is supposed to be fun and stress free! There was a lack of support from my doctor. I never understood what’s TB because I only got ten minutes with him.” After the first hill of frustration, the next drop is solitude. “I couldn’t relate with my friends because none of them have to undergo this. And I was the only person that I know who has showed a positive skin test.” After solitude, Jenny then climbs the hill of worry. “I was concerned because I don’t know anything about TB!  I kept wondering where I could have picked it up.  I was worried for my family member. My siblings are small. I could easily infect them. So I made all of them to get tested. I also skipped a few days of medication: will I get TB someday?” After all the small hills, the most exciting drop is the desire for more knowledge. “I did research on Yahoo Health to learn about the disease and its symptoms.  It was all down to me since my doctor and family couldn’t help.”
Accompanying the frightening ride is the thrill of self-awakening.  “The experience was good because I was eighteen with college and my whole life in front of me. TB was an upset in my life, but it taught me that life is precious.” Suffering also inspires learning.  “It made me want to become a doctor, to have more control over my health.”
Life is a ride: full of ups and downs, excitements and disappointments.  The journey involves struggle, which usually transforms into personal growth. Through illness, we gain knowledge, self-awareness, and understanding of life. Suffering tests our inner strength and values. When disappointment stops us, we have to change our own perspectives. Yet it is also this fear, excitement, and learning that will prepare us for the next phase in life’s rollercoaster ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment